Friday, August 21, 2015

Book Review: Deliverance by C.J. Redwine

Delivarance, the final book in the Defiance trilogy, was everything I wanted.

Deliverance was a non-stop read that I couldn't put down. The conclusion to the series picks up right where Defiance left off and never slowed down. Not only was the story and world intricate, but also interesting. With Rachel and Logan separated, the reader saw both sides of the fight and knew parts of the plot that Logan or Rachel might not have known. The dual perspective that C.J. Redwine introduced in the first book really came into play here and made the book so much better.

When you look at the each title of these books, they truly represent what will happen in the novel. The first book centers around a two defiant teenagers against the government of the city state the live in, Baalboden. Deception featured an extreme betrayal that even I didn't see coming, and the conclusion definitely delivered. Not only did it deliver justice, but an amazing story as well. If I look at how much I enjoyed each book, I can truly say that they got better as the story continued. Each novel gets darker and much more complex.

One of the aspects I truly appreciated about this series is the world building; it's done so well. With each book, more of the world is introduced. Defiance, the first novel, only centered around one of the several city-states and explored only a small percent of the world outside of it. By the end of the series, the reader has been taken on a journey where Logan and Rachel have been to a majority of the city states and have ventured through the Wastelands as well. To say that I have a better grasp on the universe within these books is an understatement.

Not only is the world building something to look forward to in this series, but so are the characters. Logan, Rachel, Willow, Adam, and everyone else are so well developed. Both Rachel and Logan grow so much as characters and truly become stronger, better people by the end of the series. I love the dynamic not only between the two leads, but all of the characters; they're like a family. Even the antagonists in this trilogy have a backstory and motivations for what they believe in. The one thing I didn't like about the  conclusion is that one of Rachel and Logan's enemies were overcome to easily and not the way I wanted it so happen either. The final battle is another story. As the climax of the story, it was so well done and is one of the best final battle scenes I have read.

To say I recommend this series would not accurately show how much I like this trilogy. If you are just getting into fantasy like I am, this is a really great trilogy to start with. I'm definitely going to be reading more of what C.J. Redwine writes. Her writing style is another reason that I liked this series as much as I did. Though I didn't love this series, I am recommending it. All three books are fast reads that kept me on my toes and rooting for the characters.

With that, I give this book

4.3 out of 5 Stars!



I give the series as a whole 4.2 Stars!

Thanks for stopping by! Have you guys read this series or one of the books? Comment down below!

Happy Reading!

~Genni from Ready, Set, Read!

2 comments:

  1. I love this series! I have to agree with you - the world-building is just fabulous! It was such a great end to the series :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! It really grew for me as it progressed! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete