Sunday, January 10, 2016

Book Review: The Dead List by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Dead List was so addicting and fun!

I can never get enough of Jennifer L. Armentrout! She seems to show up every single month in my wrap ups and January will be no exception. The Dead List is actually a free online read on the website Wattpad! I've read a plethora of books from the wattpad app, and while there have been plenty I have really liked, there were others that were complete misses for me. However, I had high hopes for this one because I am so familiar with Jennifer L. Armentrout.

The Dead List is a contemporary thriller that follows our main character Ella after she is almost murdered. I haven't read much thriller or watched much for that matter, so unlike for some people, this was a breath of fresh air. There were some parts of the book that had a very Scream like vibe, but besides that I didn't mind the book not being as original compared to her other books. 

The Dead List was so much fun to read. It wasn't without it's faults, but the story and the characters carried it through for me. I was more interested in the plot than the characters because they didn't stand out for me. Ella is a classic character that is beautiful without really knowing and has several guys pining after her. Jensen, the love interest, is the classic jock (ex jock in this novel) that is a bit mysterious and a lot misunderstood. Though they were cookie cutter characters, their actions and what happened to them were not. 


Throughout the novel there are two different stories being told that intertwine with each other. While the storyline of the serial killer that attempted to murder Ella was the primary story, the secondary one was just as interesting. I love how they were connected with each other and it kept me on my toes. While I was guessing who the murderer was right along with the other readers on the wattpad app, the big reveal did take me by surprise. 

I really loved the romance of this book. While it was a bit predictable, the dialogue between the two sold it for me. What I love about all the relationships that Jennifer L. Arementrout writes about is how swoon worthy and intriguing they are. The idea that Jensen and Ella used to be best friends that grew apart because of a tragic accident kept me wondering what exactly had happened. 

Though The Dead List does get some criticism for its lack of originality, I enjoyed it as a whole. The plot intrigued me the whole entire time I was reading it and there was no dull point in my reading experience. If you are new to the app or thinking about getting it, I would recommend this one. The romance was cute and at times sexy, with the story achieving its goal of being thrilling. 

With that, I give this book 

4 out of 5 Stars!







Have you read any of Jennifer L. Arementrout's books? What was your favorite? 

Thanks guys for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

P.S. Sorry for my mysterious disappearance! Finals week killed me. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment