Saturday, March 12, 2016

Adaption Talk: Shadowhunters S1E9 - Rise Up

Hey guys and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni and today I'll be doing another adaption talk of Shadowhunters, the TV adaption of the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare. As with every adaption talk, my thoughts will be listed below as I watch the episode! Hope you enjoy! :D

1.) Last week's episode was my favorite of the year, so hopefully this won't disappoint!

2.) I already like Simon's reaction to his vampirism.

3.) Kat McNamara's acting is really strong with these scenes about Simon. It's actually really believable that she cares about him.

4.) The whole Forsaken plot is throwing me off....what's the point of all of City of Glass if they're going to do this to the plot?

5.) Why are Jace and Clary kissing right now? Their relationship works so well because they know how to balance priorities.

6.) I don't like how Magnus isn't as strong of a character as he is in the novel. Magnus knows what he wants and is confident. This doesn't seem like the same person.

 7.) Why is Meliorn even a character.... he serves no point really.

8.) Even though Alec's plot is drastically different from the books, I'm interested to see how it will play out.

9.) The scene with Simon, Clary, and his mom was SO good!

10.) Shade THROWN by quarterback Alec Lightwood to wide receiver Robert Lightwood!

11.) In Simon's case, I would be happy that my best friend gave me some more time with my friends and family!

12.) Okay, Dom's line "Jace Wayland is Switzerland." is so Jace, but the line wasn't delivered well at all. It didn't seem sassy!

13.) The fact that I get excited for any scene with Simon is saying something! He's such a strong actor.

14.) I like the set up for this situation between Clary and Simon at Hotel DuMort. I like that it tests the boundaries of their friendship. 

15.) Aw man, poor Magnus. :( At least they're drawing out Malec's relationship. Unlike SOME relationships. *cough* Clace *cough*

16.) I like that Lydia is a really complex character. Hopefully she won't be an antagonist of every episode!


17.) I completely adore Simon and Clary's friendship! <3

18.) Downworlders and Shadowhunters have been fighting for hundreds of years. One speech won't change it. It's why we have this wonderful thing called City of Glass!

19.) Loved the whole pun-off thing between Raphael and Luke!

20.) Paraba-WHYY stop fighting! Also, what the heck Jace! Best scene so far when he said he'd want to die before they were on different sides. *claps*

21.) Alec you're breaking my heart just like you did Jace's.

22.) While Simon and Clary's friendship grew stronger, Jace and Alec's crumpled.

23.) "You're still you. I'm still me." SO GOOD! Also, good music in the background. It actually fit the mood.

24.) When you're such a big Sizzy fan you have to look away when Izzy kisses another guy.

25.) Nice ending! It's making me anticipate the next episode.

So, it was a pretty good episode! It didn't blow me away, but there were several scenes that did. Every and any scene between Kat (Clary) and Alberto (Simon) were amazing! The fight scene between Matthew (Alec) and Dom (Jace) was really strong. I think that the show more accurately portrays friendship. I really feel for them in that sense, but the chemistry is really lacking when they try to do romantic relationships. So far, Matthew and Harry (Magnus) are the weakest to me.

I'm excited to see what will come in the next episode in the alternate universe! The plots have strayed very far away from each other, but the TV show still is intriguing.

What were your thoughts on the the episode?

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you soon with a another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

8 comments:

  1. I really loved this episode too! When Alec just dismissed Magnus my heart just broke in half. This is one of those moments, though, when I'm really happy I read the books because I know they'll end up together and be an adorable couple (unless they decide to change that... I would never forgive them!). The one thing I really didn't like in this episode that you mentioned is the unification between the werewolves and the vampires. They really shouldn't have tolerated each other so well. Or they should have at least shown what the werewolves and vampires were doing during and after the rescue. They just kind of disappear when the gang gets Meliorn back and it made me wonder what the heck they were doing during and after the raid!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura! Thanks for the great comment! I can't wait for Malec to actually happen! I think the next episode's name is Malec, so fingers crossed for that! Yeah that whole part was weird. There were so many scenes with the vampires and werewolves and they dindn't show up... Besides that, I didn't really have any issue. One of my favorite scenes that I've read so far is in CoG when the Downworlders and Shadowhunters team up and defeat Valentine! I just don't think that Alec and Jace's should have fought! It made me so torn up. :(

      Thanks for dropping by Laura! :D
      Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

      Delete
  2. I still have yet to watch episode eight, but I'm glad it's getting better. Simnon is easily the best part about the show and Alec is really growing on me. :)

    By the way, I've tagged you for the This or That? Tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with you! They're my two favorite characters. Kat has also really grown into Clary's character through the series.

      Thanks so much! I'll be sure to do it soon. :D

      Delete
  3. I've only watched maybe the first three episodes of this, but now I'm pretty excited to get back on it! (I've been binge-watching Miss Fisher's murder mysteries lately and I need to prioritise other TV shows too!)
    This is such a fun post idea, it's nice to see how you react while watching it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Annika! :D My sister loves that TV show. Glad to hear you are liking it. :) Shadowhunters picks up a lot once episode five comes around. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. I feel exactly the same as you! I LOVED THE PUNS (honestly my favourite part of the episode), and I LOVE ALEC EVEN MORE every episode! I do agree about Magnus though - he's a lot more vulnerable on the show, and I'm interested to see how it works out. I hate Clary and Jace in this!

    I love seeing your reactions to the show - thanks for sharing :D
    Denise | The Bibliolater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! The puns were SO GOOD! I was laughing my head off! XD Alec is becoming one of the best parts of the show! I'm used to him being the vulnerable one, so I'm always thrown off when Magnus is!

      Thanks Denise! :D Thanks for the great comment!

      Delete