Monday, May 15, 2017

BOOK REVIEW | Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Princess
Author: Cassandra Clare
Pages: 567
Publication Date: September 5, 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Source: I got this from my local library!
Danger and betrayal, love and loss, secrets and enchantment are woven together in the breathtaking finale to the #1 New York Times bestselling Infernal Devices Trilogy, prequel to the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING

A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray.

Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever.

As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army?

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.


Clockwork Princess is the final book in Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series. I've been making my way through all of Clare's books, and this was the first series I finished from her. Finishing a series can be hard for authors because they have loose ends to tie up, the plot to conclude, and they have to make sure that the book not only pleases them, but won't incite hatred from all the fans. I've read my fair share of conclusions that I love, and I've read some lackluster ones as well. Luckily, I absolutely loved this conclusion. 

At the end of Clockwork Prince (spoilers!!!) Jem and Tessa are engaged. Personally, I like Tessa with both Jem and Will, but I like her with Will more. I think it had to do with Jem always being so nice and noble. Though Jem is a great character, I like the sarcasm and humor that Will brings to the table. Because I like both love interests though, I was extremely pleased with how the love triangle was done and how mature everyone was. 

Halfway through the book, I was ready to get to the final battle. I felt like the book dragged a bit from the fight at the Institute and the final battle. I just wanted the book to hurry up and get there! What happened in between those two events wasn't filler space and they were definitely important, but I was being an impatient reader. It didn't help either that I have been completely spoiled from reading posts and watching booktube for years. I basically knew everything that was going to happen except for a couple small things here and there. I did like reading how the book got there, but because I knew a lot already going into this, the book didn't hold my attention at some times. However, if I hadn't been spoiled I knew I would have been at the edge of my seat. 

What I love most about this series as a whole are all the relationships, and not just the romantic ones. Cassandra Clare does such a good job of making her audience empathize and relate to her characters. Even though her books are urban fantasy, I was able to easily relate to the characters or at least feel for them. Clare tugs on my heartstrings in such a powerful way, which I greatly appreciate! Too many times I feel a bit disconnected from the story, but it sure didn't happen with this series! 

All in all, this was a great conclusion. There were times where I just wanted the book to speed up so I could get to some instrumental parts in the book, but that is more personal taste than anything else. All the characters are so well done and I can't wait to some of them again in later books! This is a series that I know I'll need to buy; I only own the second book. I'm looking forward to siting down and rereading this series, or at least some scenes, in the future!

With that, I give this book 
4.5 out of 5 Stars!

2 comments:

  1. I loved her TID series! Glad to hear you did too! Great review. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren! The series hasdefinitely become a favorite of mine.

      Delete