Friday, July 7, 2017

Mini Movie Reviews | Split, Kong: Skull Island, Wonder Woman

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog!! This is the summer of movies for me, and I've been watching a ton. I'm back again to bring some more movie mini reviews to you! 

The movies I'll be reviewing today are Split starring James McAvoy and Anya Taylor-Joy, Kong: Skull Island starring Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, and Samuel L. Jackson, and Wonder Woman starring Gal Gadot and Chris Pine. 

Split
Release Date: January 20, 2017
Run Time: 1 hour, 57 minutes
Genre: Horror
Rating: PG-13

Split is a terrifying movie, in the best way. If you don't know what Split is about, the movie follows Kevin, a man with split personality disorder. After an incident at his work place, he is unable to control his dissociative identity disorder (DID) and kidnaps three girls. What comes after that is a psychological thriller that is downright amazing. I think the film did a wonderful job respecting the disorder while still taking its liberties. M. Night Shyamalan has made a huge comeback with this film, and it is one of my favorites this year. I will for sure buy this sometime in the future and re-watch it soon! If you are looking to watch a psychological thriller and don't know what to watch, I highly recommend this one! The acting is superb, James McAvoy does a wonderful job with all his different personalities and Anya Taylor-Joy masterfully instills terror in the audience. I give Split an A.



Kong:Skull Island
Release Date: March 10, 2017
Run Time: 2 hours
Genre: Fantasy/science fiction (monster)
Rating: PG-13

Kong: Skull Island is the companion sequel to the 2014 movie Godzilla. Both movies are part of the MonsterVerse film series, and both movies have been such a blast. If I were to say which movie I liked better out of the two, Kong:Skull Island would take the cake. Scientists and soldiers go to the island (both with different motives) to a deserted island. What they don't know is that King Kong resides on the island, protecting the people from other monsters. Not only did this film have wonderful action sequences and shots, but had a great message as well. The pace of the movie is super fast, which is always a good thing when it comes to action films. I was always fully immersed in the story. The acting isn't phenomenal by any means (except by John C. Reilly), but it wasn't bad by any means. I give Kong: Skull Island a B+.


Wonder Woman
Release Date: June 2, 2017
Run Time: 2 hours, 21 minutes
Genre: Superhero, Fantasy, Action
Rating: PG-13

Last but not least is Wonder Woman! Wonder Woman released this June and the pressure was on for DC. They haven't made a great action film since The Dark Knight Rises. Finally DC hit the mark with Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman is the first film for the superhero, and the biggest blockbuster success to be directed by a woman. Besides all that Wonder Woman stands for, the movie itself is great. It's not my favorite superhero film (I love Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Deadpool) but it makes me very excited for all the upcoming movies in the DC extended universe. The movie reminds me a lot of Captain America: The First Avenger in how the story progresses and such. Wonder Woman isn't my favorite super hero movie, but what it stands for is spectacular. I give Wonder Woman a B+. 


All these movies have been a blast! If I were only to recommend one though, I would say Split. However, if you don't like thrillers, than don't watch the movie! I hope you get the chance to see these three movies! Wonder Woman is still in theaters, but Kong and Split you'll have to rent. 

Have you seen any of these movies? What did you thin of them?

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

16 comments:

  1. Great reviews, Genni! I am incredibly excited to see WW and Kong, and I think I'll absolutely love both of them. I adore those casts, too :)
    So glad you loved these 3!

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I hope you do! They castes really well for those movies. :)

      Delete
  2. Kong was not something I was initially interested in but I saw a few clips of it on Youtube and it looks surprisingly good! Plus Hiddleston and Brie Larson look like they do a great job as leads. I want to see it now!

    Wonder Woman looks great! And Split looks freaky lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Did you like Godzilla? It's the same feel except a bit more eco and beast friendly. :) Freaky doesn't even begin to cover Split, but in the best way possible!

      Delete
    2. I did like Godzilla, although I wanted a little more Godzilla in it. :) I'm definitely going to watch Kong- I might rent it this week!

      Delete
    3. I completely understand! The human plots are good, but the movie is called Godzilla. Show me the monster! I would say Kong shows the monster a bit more. I hope you like it Greg!

      Delete
  3. Great reviews! I really want to watch Split! I looks like it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to see Split and Wonder Woman! I've been hearing such great things about both of them. I'm not the biggest thriller fan (gore is fine but jump-scares freak me out) but I still want to see Split which is saying something :) I'm so glad to hear you liked Kong as well. I saw it a little while ago in theaters and I agree: the message is great! I loved how they made a point of showing that just because something is bigger than you and you don't understand it doesn't mean that it's immediately dangerous and you need to kill it. Nature is a delicate balance and all! Lovely reviews, Genni!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that Split has a couple jump scares, but it's not horrible! Jump scares really freak me out too. Kong really surprised me with how deep it's message got to be. I feel like Godzilla, while it had a message, was more about the action and Kong was the other way around. Thank you Laura!

      Delete
  5. It looks like you had great success with movie-watching! I haven't been to the movies since December, when I saw Rogue One (which I loved). I do want to see Wonder Woman at some point. :D

    Great post, Genni! Have a fabulous week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! This batch was a lot better than my previous one. :) I go to the movies quite often, at least twice a month! Rogue One was pretty epic! I hope you love Wonder Woman!

      You too Alyssa!

      Delete
  6. I keep forgetting about Split, I definitely need to remedy that soon. And I finally saw Wonder Woman yesterday with my brother, it was such a fun and empowering watch. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love Split, Poulami!! I completely agree with you; empowering and fun are the perfect adjectives to describe the movie! Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
  7. I love Split and Skull Island! Lovely reviews!

    I gave your blog a follow, and I would truly appreciate it if you could check out my book reviews blog located at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Looking forward to reading more of your reviews!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much El! I'll give your blog a follow as well. :) Thank you!

      Delete