Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Series I'm Not Finishing!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be talking about some of the series I will not be finishing. Of course, if some of the series I am mentioning are your favorites, I don't mean any offense! If you loved it, great! It's just not for me. Now be prepared for some good old roasts...

First (and probably worst) is the Fallen series by Lauren Kate! Fallen was one of the first YA books that I have hated, and for some unknown reason I decided to read not only Fallen, but the sequel, Torment. Well let me just say it here: this series is a torment to read. All the characters are so bland and blend together except for Luce. Dear god, Luce is a dreadful main character. She's whiny, her thought process makes no sense, and she's this damsel in distress that can't help herself. Instead, she lets everyone else save her. A lot of people love this series, and a lot of people hate it. I appreciate this series for what its worth: a simple fantasy series that introduced a lot of readers to young adult. But at the end of the day, this series is lackluster and irritating. 

Secondly is the Need series by Carrie Jones. I started this series a really long time ago, before I even had goodreads. Though I remember really liking the first two books, the third was such a disappointment. This series is forgettable. I know there are pixies, but that's about it. I forgot all about the Norse mythology aspect until I looked the series up. What I do remember is this: the romance was cute in the first book, and got grating by the third. Nick, one of the main love interests (yes, there is a love triangle is this series) is just an asshole, and none of the plot actually made sense. This series is something to read before you become a critical reader. By the third book, the plot was convoluted and none of the characters stuck with me.

The third and final series I'll be talking about this post is the Thunder Road series by Katie McGarry. McGarry is a pretty popular YA contemporary author. I've enjoyed some of her other books, but the most recent ones I've read by her have been lackluster. Nowhere But Here tried to be original, but all of it fell flat. I couldn't empathize with any of the characters, and I have no interest at all with continuing the series. I'd rather despise a series, like I did Fallen, instead of just feel indifferent. Unfortunately, that's what happened for the Thunder Road series. 


Have you read any of these series? What did you think? What are some series that you won't be finishing?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!


14 comments:

  1. Ugh, I know what you mean about Fallen. One of my friend loved it and when I read it I wondered if I was reading the same book. I was so bored ! I remember not liking any of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand! The reason I picked up Fallen was because I had so many wonderful things. Alas, it wasn't too wonderful! XD Thanks for stopping by Lys!

      Delete
  2. TOTALLY agree about Fallen!! Gosh, it was so painfully boring, Luce was an infuriating damsel, and the characters were bland.
    Great post :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so boring, but even though nothing was happening, I was still somehow confused with the whole world! Thanks Amy!

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it's best to let a series go if it's not working, and while I like the covers of the Fallen books I can totally see why you would not continue. Bland and lackluster characters are no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I used to think I would never DNF a series, but there's no reason to force myself to read anything if I'm not enjoying it. It's a shame the books for the Fallen series are not as beautiful on the inside as they are in the outside. :(

      Delete
  4. Ooh I remember the Need series! Honestly, I don't remember if I finished it or not... I just remember that I kept getting confused and it was slightly strange. I don't know, I guess that says something about how memorable it was. I love your new header and background, by the way!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I feel you! I honestly might have finished the fourth book and not remembered anything of it. When I looked it up, everything felt familiar, but I honestly can't tell you any details!

      Thanks Laura! It was due for a change and I liked how it turned out! :D

      Delete
  5. I made it only a couple of chapters through Fallen before I quit out of irritation! I don't blame you there in the least!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I trudged through the first two books and regret everything! 😩

      Delete
  6. OMG! I remember reading Fallen years ago and unfortunately, this post have me horrible flashbacks. I must suffer from Fallen PTSD and not even realized it. Luce WAS horrible and apparently I never cared if I saw her again because I hated her so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Fallen a long time ago and don't really remember what happened. I just know that I never continued on with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting list, I should give up in series more often than i do I think! Gosh it has been years since i thought about Fallen until about 2 months ago when they released that really bad film version of it. I remember as a very young teen loving the first book but i honest have no idea what happened after that (i read them all i think but have no memory of any plot) and then that random 'final book came out more recently, what was that all about!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally hanker through series I don't enjoy either. I tried watching the movie and I just couldn't do it! The series is just unfortunately so forgetful.

      Delete