Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday #47

Hey everyone and welcome back (or to!) my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be participating in Waiting on Wednesday. WoW was hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine. Every week we showcase an upcoming release we are excited about. Jill hasn't been posting for quite some time, so Tressa @ Wishful Endings has adopted and renamed WoW to Can't Wait Wednesday.

For this week, I chose Tyler Johnson Was Here by Jay Coles, out March 20, 2018! 
When Marvin Johnson's twin, Tyler, goes to a party, Marvin decides to tag along to keep an eye on his brother. But what starts as harmless fun turns into a shooting, followed by a police raid.

The next day, Tyler has gone missing, and it's up to Marvin to find him. But when Tyler is found dead, a video leaked online tells an even more chilling story: Tyler has been shot and killed by a police officer. Terrified as his mother unravels and mourning a brother who is now a hashtag, Marvin must learn what justice and freedom really mean.
Why I'm Waiting

To be honest, what really drew me to this book was the cover. I saw it on twitter, and I immediately added it to goodreads. But the synopsis is what is keeping me staying. I haven't read The Hate U Give, but the plot reminds me of it. Police brutality and racism is such an important topic, and I'm glad to see that YA novels about it are being published and getting attention! I do plan on reading The Hate U Give, but I have no idea when. Once I'm on a break from college, I might give it a go! :) 

Are you looking forward to Tyler Johnson Was Here? What are some other books you would recommend that are within the same theme?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!  

11 comments:

  1. That's a totally new to me one! Hope you love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! This sounds like an important and interesting read! Great pick!

    Here’s my WoW!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Thanks so much for stopping by. :D

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I haven't heard of this one before. Adding it to the TBR right now.
    Great choice. Here is my WOW 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it around too much, only that one time on Twitter! I'm sure more people will talk about it the sooner it gets to the release date.

      Yay for adding it to your TBR! I hope you love it. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm really curious about this one, especially after seeing it on someone's Top Ten post yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that the book is getting more traction! I'm always hesitant to read something before there are a ton of reviews out, but I'm definitely keeping my eye on it! Thanks for visiting Greg!

      Delete
  5. That really is a lovely cover! And yes, sounds like a v interesting book. I sometimes feel like a modern focus on feminism has pushed discourse on racism aside, as if we as a society/world have "got past" racism. We have NOT got past racism and I am always interested in books that continue to give the incredibly important topic of race the intention it deserves. I really need to read The Hate U Give ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover is so nice! I hope you like this one when you read it!

    ReplyDelete